Thursday, September 26, 2013

Back Into the Fray

So, it's been a long time.  I have been busy.  Unfortunately, I have not been busy playing games.  There's been a little playing here and there, but nothing overly quality.  I have, however, gotten new dice (lots of them), and figured out Skype, which, if you knew me, is a miracle.  Anyway, as a way of getting me back into blogging, I have decided to take the 30 days of D&D challenge.  I have no clue if it's current or cool or whatever, but it will get me writing which is all that counts.

This is the challenge.


 So, how did I get started?

It was simple; I had a friend.  His name was Mike, and we played the Star Wars collectible card game at a local gaming shop on Saturdays.  We both were 13 and we were both awful at it, but we met up to practice and hang out and play Worms: Armageddon and got to be pretty good friends.  One of his middle school friends had a dad who had played Dungeons and Dragons with them a few times, so he knew what roleplaying was.  One day, he came over to my place to hang out with the Star Wars RPG (the D20 one), and my brother and I rolled up characters and started playing.  It was very fun.  We were hooked.  Mike was a passable GM, and we roped my friend, Chris, into playing with us.  Eventually we strayed off to Dungeons and Dragons (3rd Edition and eventually 3.5) and Vampire: the Masquerade, but we kept coming back to Star Wars, especially when the Revised rules came out.  D&D 3.5 was my go to game elsewhere, but Star Wars always reminds me of those early days when we had no clue what we were doing, only had seven funny shaped dice to pass around the table, and wrote our characters on notebook paper.

This was my gateway drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment